Top 9 Tips For Green Card based on Marriage

Green Card

Foreign-born persons who enter into a bona fide marriage with a U.S. citizen are considered “immediate relatives” for purposes of obtaining a green card. There are no quota’s or restrictions for those persons, and they are allowed to adjust their status to permanent resident as long as they entered the U.S. legally.

Obtaining the help of a knowledgeable attorney well versed in immigration law is advisable. Our goal is to make your immigration process as smooth as possible.

Top 9 Tips

  1. You should marry the foreign born person in the U.S. and submit the appropriate petitions.
  2. Foreign born persons who enter the U.S. legally and later marry a U.S. citizen can adjust status to a permanent residence without leaving the U.S.
  3. Both parties, the U.S. citizen and foreign born person, must submit doucmentation.
  4. Within several weeks of filing the petition packet the foreign born spouse will receive an appointment for finger prints, and a second appointment will follow for a couples interview with an immigration officer.
  5. Both parties must attend the interview. It is important to simply tell the truth. Don’t offer information that is not asked, and refrain from talking too much. Appearance is also important, dress appropriately and remember where you are and why you are there.
  6. If your bride or husband to be entered the US on a finance visa, you must marry within 90 days of entry.
  7. The immigrant must be in a legitimate relationship with a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.
  8. Submit a complete petition packet along with appropriate filing fees to the correct immigration office.
  9. Be entirely upfront and truthful with your attorney